Tuesday, February 7, 2012

My Newest Hero

I absolutely LOVE Moms Who Drink and Swear.  Nicole (the O.G. Mom Who Drinks and Swears) is ballsy and unapologetic in her writing, which is mostly about life with her kids.  A lot of her posts are about the nitty-gritty, feces-smeared life of a mom and she shares them.  With the world.  And she is HILARIOUS!  I love her blog so much that I also "liked" the MWDAS Facebook Page, because I knew that I wouldn't get so annoyed with her blowing up my news feed that I would then turn around and un-like it.
So, today I'm scrolling through my feed and see a MWDAS post about a blog I'd never heard of, telling its author to rest in peace.  And of course, being the nosey person that I am, had to immediately go to the mystery blog and read.  And I read.  And I sobbed.
ToddlerPlanet - The Joy of Life After Cancer is a blog written by Susan Niebur, an astrophysicist and mother of two.  She was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer five years ago.  All I had to read were the words "breast cancer" and I was immediately captivated.  I have a sister who was diagnosed with breast cancer when she was the same age that I am now.  Thankfully, she survived.  It recurred 9 years later, and she survived again.  But there isn't a day that goes by now that I don't think, "Sis was first diagnosed when she was your age, when will you find 'the lump?'"
ToddlerPlanet is so much more than just an "I'm a cancer survivor" blog.  It's a courageous, faith-filled, and informative record of an extraordinary life.  Susan Niebur has been added to my list of heroes.  And I bet she will be added to yours, too, if you take a moment (or two) to read her story.

2 comments: